As one of the fastest and most effective vision correction treatments currently available, LASIK has become an extremely popular choice for individuals seeking to correct refractive errors such as nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism. At Nevada Eye Consultants, we utilize iLASIK — a state-of-the-art bladeless technique that offers a range of benefits for our patients, including more precise correction.
- What is iLASIK?
- iLASIK Benefits
- iLASIK vs. LASIK
- LASIK Candidates
- Preparing for LASIK
- LASIK Technology
- Does iLASIK Hurt?
- iLASIK Recovery
- LASIK Alternatives
What is iLASIK?
iLASIK is an all-laser LASIK procedure, meaning that no blades are used during surgery. Using these state-of-the-art lasers, our surgeons are able to gently reshape the cornea, effectively correcting refractive errors. Compared to other vision correction surgeries, iLASIK provides a more customized approach. Through advanced technology, our LASIK surgeons are able to collect precise measurements and personalize the procedure for each patient. iLASIK follows a similar process to traditional LASIK surgery, which is generally performed in two steps:
- A corneal flap is created – This flap can be created using either a laser or a blade. With iLASIK, this step is performed with a specialized cool laser. The laser gently creates a flap in the protective surface of the cornea that can be lifted, allowing the surgeon to access the cornea.
- The cornea is reshaped – Using an excimer laser, the surgeon skillfully and carefully reshapes the cornea to help correct the patient’s vision. After the cornea has successfully been reshaped, the corneal flap is replaced. The flap is able to quickly heal on its own, especially in cases where the surgeon has used the iLASIK technique.
What Are the Benefits of iLASIK?
At Nevada Eye Consultants, our surgeons utilize the iLASIK method for qualified patients. Aside from accelerated healing times, iLASIK offers our patients a few other distinct advantages, such as:
- Improved comfort during the procedure
- Reduced time in surgery
- Enhanced surgical precision
- Increased safety
- Faster recovery times
- Improved overall outcomes
Excellent eye doctor. The care you receive at this practice is unrivaled. Had a LASIK procedure done here and it was quick, professional and personable. Great instructions and care for post op and follow up. Highly recommend
March 04, 2023
iLASIK vs. LASIK
While iLASIK may sound like just another name for LASIK, it is actually a type of LASIK procedure that was developed through extensive medical expertise and many years of research — it is the most advanced type of LASIK procedure available today. The main difference is that iLASIK is an all-laser procedure, while traditional LASIK surgery utilizes a specialized blade when creating a corneal flap. The innovative technology used for iLASIK also allows for more precise and customized results. At Nevada Eye Consultants, we strive to provide the latest treatments and techniques available, so we are proud to offer iLASIK to our patients.
Am I a Candidate for LASIK?
Most individuals who meet the basic requirements for LASIK surgery can be considered candidates, but a thorough examination is ultimately the best way to determine whether or not LASIK is right for you. In general, patients with refractive errors who have maintained a stable prescription for at least a year and are over the age of 21 can be considered ideal candidates for LASIK. Candidates must also be in good overall health and free of certain eye diseases that may become worse after LASIK surgery. If you are not eligible for LASIK surgery, our LASIK surgeons can help you find an alternative procedure that is best for your individual needs.
How Do I Prepare for LASIK Surgery?
Patient education is essential to ensuring the safest, most effective LASIK treatment possible. Below, we have compiled some information about what you will need to know before surgery to help you better understand what you can expect from your treatment. These details can help you effectively prepare for your procedure, though it is important to understand that some information may change slightly depending on your individual situation. At the time of your consultation, one of the surgeons at Nevada Eye Consultants will provide you with more in-depth, personalized pre-surgical instructions to help ensure a successful outcome.
- Fasting is not required prior to your scheduled surgery. You may eat or drink anything you like, but you should not consume alcohol on your day of surgery.
- If you currently wear contact lenses, you will need to stop wearing them before your surgery so the cornea can stabilize. Based on your vision correction needs and type of contact lenses, we will provide you with specific instructions to let you know how far in advance you will need to discontinue contact lens use.
- You can expect to be at our laser facility for approximately an hour and a half to two hours on your day of surgery. If you have family and/or friends who would like to watch your procedure, we have an observation area available.
- To help you remain comfortable, you will be offered a mild sedative. Be sure to notify the staff and/or your surgeon if you have any allergies prior to accepting the medication.
- Please do not wear any eye makeup to your surgical appointment. If you are wearing large earrings, a ponytail, or a hooded sweatshirt, you may be asked to remove them.
- Immediately before surgery, several eye drops will be administered to prepare for the procedure. Although allergic reactions to these drops are extremely rare, please inform your surgeon and the surgical staff if you have experienced negative reactions to eye medications in the past.
Once your surgeon is ready to begin your LASIK procedure, your participation is critical for success — please be sure to carefully follow instructions throughout your surgery.
What Are the Different Types of LASIK Technology?
At Nevada Eye Consultants, we use the latest technology in order to ensure the highest levels of safety and comfort, as well as the best possible outcomes for our patients. We utilize innovative devices such as the iDESIGN® Refractive Studio, the IntraLase™ FS Laser System, and the VISX STAR S4 IR® Excimer Laser System with ActiveTrak™. These state-of-the-art devices each offer distinct advantages for our LASIK patients.
iDESIGN® Refractive Studio
The iDESIGN® Refractive Studio by Johnson & Johnson Vision is an FDA-approved system that allows our eye surgeons to better tailor the LASIK procedure to each patient. As the first platform to use topography-integrated, wavefront-guided technology, the iDESIGN Refractive Studio measures both the inside and outside of a patient’s eye. This includes their visual pathway and the curvature and elevation of their eye shape. With this information, the LASIK procedure can be further personalized to each eye for the best possible vision correction results. The platform is approved for myopia and hyperopia (with or without astigmatism) as well as mixed astigmatism and monovision LASIK.
IntraLase® FS Laser System
Used for LASIK procedures, as well as advanced corneal surgery, the IntraLase® FS Laser allows our surgeons to gently and skillfully create a corneal flap without the use of a blade. Your surgeon will utilize the state-of-the-art laser system to create the corneal flap with the utmost degree of accuracy. This level of personalization helps to ensure the best possible outcomes, and can improve overall patient safety. Once the corneal flap has been made, it is folded back out of the way so your surgeon can complete your LASIK or corneal surgery.
VISX STAR S4 IR® Excimer Laser System with ActiveTrak™
The VISX STAR S4 IR® Excimer Laser System’s exclusive Variable Spot Scanning (VSS) technology and Variable Repetition Rate (VRR) algorithm allow our surgeon to complete your LASIK surgery with the highest levels of efficiency, precision, and safety. Using the customized 3D digital map created with iDesign technology, this advanced laser system’s exceptionally accurate excimer laser gently reshapes the cornea for superior vision correction.
Keeping the eye completely still during treatment has traditionally been essential for successful laser vision correction. However, even when a patient keeps their eye still, there can be microscopic involuntary movements that occur. ActiveTrak™ technology automatically tracks these movements and instantly adjusts treatment to ensure the most precise result possible.
Does iLASIK hurt?
iLASIK is designed to provide patients with an increased level of comfort during surgery. Some patients experience minimal discomfort during and/or after surgery, but this should resolve relatively quickly.
How Long is the Recovery from iLASIK?
Typically, patients are able to resume their daily activities one or two days after surgery. Vision should improve within a few hours after the procedure, but the most noticeable difference will likely be seen the following morning. Our surgeons will provide you with personalized aftercare information to help ensure minimal downtime.
Are There Alternatives to LASIK?
While many individuals can qualify as candidates for LASIK, it might not be the right procedure for everyone. Thankfully, there are several other vision correction surgeries available that can be great LASIK alternatives to help you improve your vision substantially and reduce or eliminate your dependence on corrective lenses.
Contact Nevada Eye Consultants
To learn more about LASIK, or to schedule a consultation with the surgeons are Nevada Eye Consultants, please contact us today. In a consultation, our surgeon can help you determine if you are a candidate for LASIK.